The Volvo Car Open is more than an epic tennis event: it is a cherished tradition and celebration! Each year, thousands of people flock to Charleston, SC, to watch the top women in tennis compete in this week-long tournament. Will you be one to attend in 2021? Read on to learn how to make the most of this once-in-a-lifetime event!
Afterward, discover more ways to enjoy your favorite sport in our complimentary Kiawah Island and Seabrook Island Vacation Guides. Our local guides are full of recommendations for award-winning tennis, championship golf, the area’s top restaurants, and more.
Your Guide to the Volvo Car Open Tennis Tournament
1. Will the Volvo Car Open be played in 2021?
Just announced Feb 4, 2021: The 2021 Volvo Car Open will be played without spectators due to ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
Yes! Announced October 2020, the Volvo Car Open Tennis Tournament will be held April 3 - 11, 2021. Efforts to renovate and modernize the Volvo Car Stadium will be underway during the 2021 Volvo Car Open. Therefore, the April 2021 matches will take place in a temporary stadium constructed on the current Althea Gibson Club Court and will seat up to 3000 fans per session.
2. When will tickets go on sale for the 2021 Volvo Car Open?
Tickets for the 2021 Volvo car open will go on sale to the public November 13, 2020. Click here for more info!
3. What is the history of the Volvo Car Event?
In 1973, when the Volvo Car Open began, it was the only event of its kind. Never before had a professional sporting tournament made such waves in the world of women’s sports. The Family Circle Cup, known today as the Volvo Car Open, was a defining moment for all women with dreams of playing professional sports. Although the competition has its roots on Hilton Head Island, SC, in 2001, the tournament found a new home in Charleston.
4. What is the Volvo Car Open like Today?
The Volvo Car Open is a Lowcountry tradition. Each year, nearly 90,000 spectators and 100 world-class athletes participate. In addition to spectacular tennis events, there are a variety of fun activities. Prize giveaways, live music, and happy hours after the competition are a few things to enjoy. Remember to come hungry! Local eateries, like Braised in the South, are always in attendance.
Local Tips for Making the Most of Your Trip
- The Volvo Car Open takes place on Daniel Island, a small Charleston community located west of Mt. Pleasant. Parking is limited on the island, so we recommend arriving early.
- A unique travel option to consider is the Daniel Island Ferry. Waterway charters are available that can pick you up at the Memorial Waterfront Park in Mt. Pleasant and drop you off at the Daniel Island Waterfront Park.
- If you are looking for a nearby place to celebrate after the tournament, we recommend checking out Sauer Grapes, Dockery’s, or Bin-526 on Daniel Island!
- The dates for Volvo Car Open 2020 are April 4th through April 12th. For those unable to attend the full week of competition, single-day tickets are also available!
Plan the Ultimate Tennis Getaway on Charleston’s Sea Islands
After an exciting day of adrenaline-pumping tennis, great food, and family fun at The Volvo Car Open, head home to Charleston’s most beloved sea islands! Enjoy miles of beautiful beach, stellar restaurants, resort-style shopping, and more when you choose a vacation home on Kiawah Island or Seabrook Island.
A complimentary Seabrook Island Club amenity card is always included in your stay.
If you are ready to plan your trip for April 2020 check our availability and book your getaway.
We can’t wait to welcome world class tennis back to the South Carolina Lowcountry!