The Credit One Charleston Open is more than a tennis tournament on the WTA annual schedule. Tennis enthusiasts from all over the Lowcountry and beyond cherish this tradition and celebration! Every April the stands at the Daniel Island tennis center fill with tennis fans of all ages to watch the top professional women tennis players compete. The play begins on Sunday with qualifying matches. Charleston's own Shelby Rogers, U.S. Open semi-finalist, is always a crowd favorite at this week-long tournament. Will you be attending the Charleston Open WTA tennis championships this year? Read on to learn how to make the most of this once-in-a-lifetime event!
Afterward, discover more ways to enjoy your favorite sport in our complimentary Sea Islands Vacation Guide. Our local guide is full of recommendations for award-winning tennis, championship golf, the area’s top restaurants, and more.
Your Guide to the Charleston Open Tennis Tournament
1. Will the Charleston Open be played in 2022?
Yes! The Credit One Charleston Open tennis tournament is slated for April 2-10, 2022 at the newly renovated Credit One Stadium located on Daniel Island, SC.
2. When will tickets go on sale for the 2022 Charleston Open?
Tickets for the 2022 Credit One Charleston Open are now available. Click here to buy tickets.
3. What is the history of the Charleston Open WTA Tennis Championship?
In 1973, when this women's tennis tournament began, it was the only event of its kind. Never before had a professional sporting tournament made such waves in the world of women’s sports. The Family Circle Cup, known today as the Credit One Charleston Open, was a defining moment for all women with dreams of playing professional sports. Although the competition has its roots on Hilton Head Island, SC, in 2001, this professional women's tennis tournament found a new home in Charleston, South Carolina.
4. What is the Charleston Open like Today?
The Credit One Charleston Open is a Lowcountry tradition. Each year, nearly 90,000 spectators and 100 world-class athletes participate. In addition to spectacular tennis events, there are a variety of fun activities. Prize giveaways, live music, and happy hours after the competition are a few things to enjoy. Remember to come hungry! Local food trucks are always in attendance.
Local Tips for Making the Most of Your Trip
- The Charleston Open takes place on Daniel Island, a small Charleston community located west of Mt. Pleasant. Parking is limited on the island, so we recommend arriving early.
- A unique travel option to consider is the Daniel Island Ferry. Waterway charters are available that can pick you up at the Memorial Waterfront Park in Mt. Pleasant and drop you off at the Daniel Island Waterfront Park.
- If you are looking for a nearby place to celebrate after the tournament, we recommend checking out Sauer Grapes, Dockery’s, or Bin-526 on Daniel Island!
- The dates for the Credit One Charleston Open 2022 are April 2-10, 2022. For those unable to attend the full week of competition, single-day tickets are also available!
Plan the Ultimate Tennis Getaway on Charleston’s Sea Islands
After an exciting day of adrenaline-pumping tennis, great food, and family fun at The Credit One Charleston Open, head home to Charleston’s most beloved sea islands! Enjoy miles of beautiful beach, stellar restaurants, resort-style shopping, and more when you choose a vacation home on Kiawah Island or Seabrook Island.
We can’t wait to welcome world class tennis back to the South Carolina Lowcountry!