Running a marathon is no easy feat, but a beautiful course can make the miles fly by! The Kiawah Island Marathon is a one-of-a-kind run, so make the most of it by enjoying everything that marathon weekend offers.
Read on to learn more about pre-race activities, the maritime course, and other important details for the 44th annual run. Afterward, if you are looking for more ways to spend your time on Kiawah, download our free Sea Island Vacation Guide. It is full of recommendations for restaurants, parks, spas, and more!
Your Guide to the Kiawah Island Marathon
The 44th annual Kiawah Marathon takes place Saturday December 10th, 2022. The Kiawah Island Marathon race course is stunning. It winds along maritime forests with spectacular views of the marsh and the Atlantic Ocean. The 26.2-mile route is fast and flat, with water stations, first aid tents, and restrooms available every two miles.
For those who aren’t yet prepared to take on the full marathon, a half marathon is also available. Both of these races start and finish in the beautiful West Beach Village.
Pre-Race Events & Activities:
The energy of the Kiawah Island community during race weekend is contagious! Throughout the weekend, many pre-race events are available for participants. These events will fire you up for the big day!
If you are running the half marathon, start the weekend off with a bike tour to preview the course. A van tour of the full marathon route is also available. As you ride, keep an eye out for water stations, and remember to pick out prime spots for family and friends to cheer you on.
Other race weekend activities include the one-mile Glow Run at Sanctuary Beach and a yoga class in the Grand Oaks Ballroom. The morning of the race, there is a 15-minute, pre-marathon warm up at the West Beach Conference Center. (6:45 am & 7 am) This early morning session will wake up your ankles, calves, quads, hamstrings, and hips.
Head over to party at the finish line after completing your run. Here, you'll receive a commemorative medal to mark your accomplishment. Take a minute to catch your breath, then chow down on a carb-loaded buffet! There will be live music, craft beer, a results screening, and an awards ceremony.
Planning For the 2022 Kiawah Island Marathon
- Check out the marathon course maps to get a better idea of what to expect before race weekend.
- The 2022 Kiawah Island Marathon dates are Friday, December 9, and Saturday, December 10. Registration information is available on the Run Signup website. You must register for pre-race events as well!
- After a marathon run, remember to treat your muscles and pamper yourself for the hard work. Schedule yourself a massage at one of the island’s nearby spas, such as Urban Nirvana or Synergy Day Spa.
Book Your Stay For Race Day
The last thing that you want to do on race day is hurry across Charleston for the Kiawah Island Marathon. Instead, choose a beautiful oceanfront home on one of Charleston’s beloved sea islands.
Whether you prefer views of green golf fairways or serene marsh, Kiawah Island and Seabrook Island rentals have it all.
There's even properties in the heart of East Beach Village where you will find the start and finish line of the marathon!
Kiawah Marathon FAQs
When is the next Kiawah Marathon?
The next Kiawah Marathon is on Saturday, Dec 10, 2022.
Where does the Kiawah Island Marathon start?
The Kiawah Island Marathon begins at 8 am. Runners depart from Night Heron Park in East Beach Village.
Where is the Kiawah Island Marathon Finish Line?
The finish line for the Kiawah Island Marathon is located in East Beach Village. The course will close at 2:30 pm, Dec 10, 2022.
Do I have to stay on Kiawah for the Kiawah Island Marathon?
No, those staying off island may park in the fields behind Freshfields Village and take a shuttle to the starting line. Off Island runners are advised to arrive no later than 6 am on race day to avoid missing the 8 am race start.
Is there a shuttle service for runners staying on Kiawah?
Yes, West Beach and Inlet Cove should take shuttle from the Cougar Point Golf Course Parking. Shuttles will depart every 15 minutes, beginning at 5:30 am.
- Runners staying at Night Heron Cottages, Mariners Watch and Windswept Villas are advised to walk to the race start or use the provided shuttle service - beginning at 5:45 am and departing every 15 minutes until race start. It departs from the 3-way stop on Sea Forest Drive, at the entrance to Mariners Watch.
- Guests staying at Tennis Club Villas, Turtle Point, Turtle Cove, Atlantic Beach & Turtle Beach, should to walk to the starting line.
- Vanderhorst runners may park in the soccer field at Night Heron Park and walk to the race start via the bike path.
Where is the Award Ceremony and post-race events for Kiawah Island Marathon?
Head over to the white celebration tent located at the race finish line next to the East Beach Conference Center for the Full and Half Marathon Award ceremony and post-race events.