If you’re looking for the best family-friendly vacation spot on the East coast, look no further than Charleston, SC! The Holy City is known for its rich history, fun outdoor activities, stunning beaches, and top-notch dining. This beautiful city has something to offer everyone in your family.
Read on to find out what makes Charleston one of the best family reunion destinations on the East Coast. Then, cut your planning time in half with the help of our Sea Island Vacation Guide. Our complimentary guide is full of recommendations for historic attractions, award-winning restaurants, and unique places to make memories with the family.
The Best Family Reunion Destinations on the East Coast
Seabrook Island, SC
Seabrook Island is a hidden world of natural wonder and adventure — all just 40 minutes from the bustling energy of downtown Charleston.
Voted “Best Restored Beach” by The American Shore & Beach Preservation Association, Seabrook Island’s 2,200 acres of beaches, maritime forests, and marshes beckon all to explore!
Some of our favorite activities on Seabrook Island include:
- Horseback riding adventures on the beach.
- Sunset paddle boarding tours. These tours are an excellent way to get to know one of Seabrook Island’s friendliest residents, the bottlenose dolphin!
- Renting beach cruisers for a family bike ride along the coast.
- Getting competitive with a tennis match at the Racquet Club.
- Planning a special dinner at one of the island’s top restaurants.
Kiawah Island, SC
There is no other place in the world quite like Kiawah Island. This Charleston Sea Island has an indescribable uniqueness that’s unlike anywhere else!
It is an internationally renowned destination and a wonderful escape for people of all ages.
Year after year, the island receives praise. In 2018, Kiawah Island was named one of the “Top 10 Islands in the Continental U.S.” by Travel + Leisure Magazine.
Are you ready to discover why?
Some of our favorite island activities include:
- Enjoying a leisurely day on a private beach or at Kiawah Island’s Beachwalker Park. This park has restroom facilities, showers for rinsing off the sand, a concession stand with snacks, and more.
- Relaxing with wonderful waterway views and a refreshing drink on a Kiawah Island sunset cruise.
- Enjoying a round of golf on a championship golf course.
- Indulging in brunch at one of the island’s top restaurants.
Nearby Family-Friendly Activities for Your East Coast Reunion
You could easily spend an entire week on Kiawah Island or Seabrook Island and still have plenty to do!
In addition to the activities you’ll find on the islands, Charleston’s famous attractions are a short car ride away.
Here are more nearby activities that your family may enjoy below.
- Learning about our nation’s history at Fort Sumter National Park.
- Fly fishing in the saltwater marshes.
- Cheering on the Charleston Riverdogs at a minor league baseball game.
- Taking a horse-drawn carriage tour through the historic streets of downtown Charleston.
- Exploring the largest tea plantation in America, the Charleston Tea Plantation! While you are in the area, you can also visit the city’s only vineyard and winery, Deep Water Vineyard.
- Zip-lining through the Lowcountry’s treetops.
Find the Perfect East Coast Family Reunion Vacation Home
Charleston’s barrier islands are home to some of the most desirable real estate in the country. Now that you’ve found the best family reunion destinations on the East Coast, don’t wait to secure your spot in this Lowcountry paradise!
With over 40 years of Charleston real estate experience, Pam Harrington Exclusives can help you find your ideal family home. Our staff has the knowledge and expertise to guide you through the entire real estate process with ease. We are happy to share our local knowledge about the area or answer any questions you may have.
Get a preview of the homes currently on the market by signing up for our real estate alerts. Then, contact us for a showing. We can’t wait to help you find your place in the South Carolina Lowcountry!