Johns Island, South Carolina is one of the fastest-growing communities in Charleston County. Steeped in natural beauty and just 12 miles to downtown Charleston, its popularity with home buyers is quickly increasing. Read on to learn why Johns Island is becoming the place to live in the Lowcountry!
A Snapshot of Johns Island, South Carolina
Where is Johns Island, South Carolina?
Johns Island is located in Charleston County, SC. It is the largest island in the state of South Carolina at 84 square miles, and the fourth largest island in the eastern United States! Johns Island is about a 30-minute drive to Charleston International Airport. Downtown Charleston, SC is 20-30 minutes from the island.
Why are so many people moving to Johns Island?
There is a long list of all the great reasons to call Johns Island home. Below are just a few reasons Johns Island real estate is so desirable!
Natural Beauty, Water Activities and Golf Courses
The numerous waterways and tidal creeks create a wonderful playground in your backyard! Boaters and fishermen love the convenience of accessing the water.
- Bohicket Marina and St. Johns Yacht Harbor are anchored at two ends of Johns Island. Each offers boat storage, slip ownership, and even boating clubs where you can just drive up and hit the water!
- John F. Limehouse boat landing, Johns Island’s public boat landing, is open to all boaters year-round.
- Trophy Lakes, located mid-island, offers slalom water skiing, a fun kid’s water park, and an 18 hole disc golf course!
- Beachwalker County Park is Johns Island’s public beach. It is rated one of the top ten public beaches in the U.S.
- Golfing enthusiasts will never tire of the beauty and challenge of the Kiawah Island Resort golf courses.
- Oak Point Golf Course, on Betsy Kerrison Parkway, is a favorite of locals for its convenience and pricing.
- Just off Johns Island over the Stono River bridge on James Island, the Charleston County Municipal Golf Course received a complete make-over. It is a great place to introduce the kids to golf or grab an affordable round of golf after work in the summer.
What is Johns Island Like?
Located about 25 minutes from historic downtown Charleston, Johns Island offers a quiet, picturesque community bordered by scenic waterways. Yet it is so convenient to the urban amenities of the city of Charleston.
Johns Island is characterized by two distinct areas of density. The northern 1/3 of the island is zoned for a greater density of development. It offers an abundance of family-oriented communities.
Is Johns Island really an island?
Yes. Johns Island is bordered by the Stono River, the Kiawah River, and the Edisto River. The resort communities of Kiawah Island and Seabrook Island border Johns Island to the south.
- New Home Communities on Johns Island are popular with young families and retirees looking to relocate to the milder climate of South Carolina. This area is bordered by Maybank Highway to the south and the Stono River to the east and north.
Here’s some great new home communities to check out:
- Hayes Park
- Sea Island Preserve
- Johnston Pointe
- Laurel Oaks
- Marshview Commons
- Laurel Glen at Oakfield
The majority 2/3 of Johns Island, south of Maybank Highway, continues to maintain a more rural character. Zoning regulations limit the density of residential communities on this portion of Johns Island.
It is distinguished by agricultural and horse farms, estate communities, waterfront residences, and large acreage estates. To the south, Johns Island is bordered by the resort communities of Kiawah Island and Seabrook Island.
Are there any shopping centers on Johns Island?
Johns Island offers a distinctly quaint shopping experience. Freshfields Village at the southern tip of Johns Island features a Harris Teeter grocery store, specialty goods, and services, in addition to several dining options. Seasonal music events, community events, and a weekly summer farmers market bring neighbors and visitors together.
A monthly Cars and Coffee gathering is held on Saturday mornings too.
Along the Maybank corridor, Live Oak Square bustles with restaurants, services, and a medical facility. Additional grocery options and some of the best restaurants in Charleston may also be found on Johns Island. Check out more on Johns Island dining options here.
Real Estate Options on Johns Island
Johns Island offers so many options for home buyers.
- New home communities offer a brand-new property where you can make it your own.
- Many existing Johns Island neighborhoods offer amenities such as community pools, a community dock, walking trails, and a clubhouse for neighborhood events.
- Johns Island condos and townhomes are popular with young professionals and those who are too busy for a home with yard upkeep.
- Waterfront or acreage estates are woven throughout the island. These scenic, private retreats offer the convenience of recreation and proximity to town for business. Golfing communities are also quite popular on Johns Island.
- Briars Creek is a premier golfing community featuring a spectacular Rees Jones-designed course.
Resort Living near Johns Island
- Resort living at its best may be found on Kiawah Island or Seabrook Island. Very few communities offer the complement of amenities available to residents of Kiawah Island and Seabrook Island. World-class golf, miles of pristine beach, biking trails, tennis, equestrian activities, and a vibrant social community are just some of the reasons to live in the Lowcountry.
- The Town of Kiawah Island and The Town of Seabrook Island govern each community with thoughtful preservation of the ecological systems while incorporating quality of life factors for all residents.
Tired of Searching for the Perfect Fit?
Let Us Help With over 40 years of experience in the Lowcountry real estate market, our team at Pam Harrington Exclusives has the local knowledge you need to discover the perfect Johns Island neighborhood for you. There’s no need to spend hours researching MLS listings when you have our team of experts at your side.