If you are planning a family vacation to the South Carolina Lowcountry, then you are in luck! There’s no need to stress out in the car about what to do next. Just borrow our list of the best family activities in Charleston! Afterward, find more kid-friendly things to do in our complimentary Sea Island Vacation Guide. Our guides have helped so many people plan the perfect Charleston beach getaway. Get your copy for recommendations on beaches, bike rentals, parks, events, and more.
15 of the Best Family Activities in Charleston, SC
1. The Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry
The Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry is more than your average collection of artifacts and memorabilia. It’s an indoor playground! With a variety of interactive exhibits, this museum is one of the best indoor kid activities in Charleston. Older kids can enjoy romping through the Kids’ Garden, sailing the seas in the Pirate Ship, hiding away in self-made tents, and more. Infants and toddlers have their own dedicated play space, too! Make sure you schedule plenty of time to explore.
2. Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum
Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum is a popular Charleston Harbor attraction. And, the main attraction is the USS Yorktown, a historic U.S. Navy aircraft carrier. This incredible, 888-foot ship was originally commissioned for World War II and earned five battle stars during Vietnam. Now, families can enjoy exploring its historic hull.
After your trip to Patriots Point in Mount Pleasant, we recommend having a waterfront meal together at the nearby Shem Creek. Kids will love watching pelicans dive into the water, scooping up fish from the creek!
3. The South Carolina Aquarium
There are so many reasons why Charleston’s aquarium is one of the most popular kids’ activities in Charleston. With a 385,000-gallon tank full of sharks, sea turtles, and tropical fish, the South Carolina Aquarium is full of animals that will make the kiddos smile! Other renown residents include the aquarium’s bald eagle, a gallery of snakes, reptiles, and even an albino alligator.
4. The Charleston County Bookmobile
If you are raising avid readers, remember the Charleston County Bookmobile! It makes regularly scheduled visits to Freshfields Village on the first and third Tuesday of every month from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. It is the perfect way to find a nighttime storybook and keep kids reading while on vacation!
5. Free Summer Events at Freshfields Village
If you are planning a Charleston beach vacation on Kiawah Island or Seabrook Island in the summer, then you and the kids are in for a treat! Every year, the nearby shopping center hosts a variety of fun and free family events. You can look forward to watching movies under the stars, shopping at the local farmers market, enjoying live music on Friday nights, and so much more. Take a look at the Freshfields Village event calendar to see what’s coming up!
More Charleston, SC, Attractions for Families
- Explore the historic gardens and homes of Magnolia Plantation & Gardens.
- Make a splash and enjoy the beautiful views of the Charleston Harbor at Waterfront Park.
- Pick your own strawberries and explore the market at Boone Hall Plantation.
- Have the best beach day at Beachwalker Park.
- Admire Charleston’s architecture on a historic house tour or horse-drawn carriage tour of the city.
- Cheer on the home team at a Charleston Riverdogs baseball game.
- Go horseback riding on the beach of Seabrook Island.
- Enjoy some adults-only time and let the kids have a day of their own at Kamp Kiawah.
- Explore Charleston on the water with a sunset cruise or boat tour.
- Plan the ultimate outdoor adventure at Night Heron Park.