Every now and then, we all need to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. And, when you’re lucky enough to call the Holy City your home, you’ll find that paradise is only a short trip away!
Read on to start planning your Charleston staycation on Kiawah Island or Seabrook Island. While you’re packing your beach bag, remember to bring a copy of our free Charleston Sea Island Vacation Guides!
Our guides have helped so many people plan the perfect beach getaway. Get your copy for recommendations on biking trails, oceanfront dining, and more.
The Best Places for a Relaxing Charleston Staycation
Kiawah Island is 25 miles southwest of the Holy City or approximately 30 minutes away by car. It is a gated community with unspoiled natural beauty. You’ll find 10 miles of pristine coastline, award-winning tennis facilities, golf, and more. Here are some of our favorite activities for a Charleston staycation!
- Wander the nature trails at Night Heron Park.
- Plan the ultimate beach day at Beachwalker Park. Here, you’ll find a variety of amenities, like showers, seasonal snack stands, and more.
- Enjoy a round of championship golf at Kiawah’s crown jewel, The Ocean Course.
- Indulge in a luxurious spa day at Charleston’s No. 1 spa, The Sanctuary.
- Get up close and personal with Kiawah’s friendliest resident, the bottlenose dolphin, with a paddleboarding excursion.
For more recommendations on things to do, view our Kiawah Island Vacation Guide.
Seabrook Island is the neighboring sea island of Kiawah. It is approximately 40 minutes away from Charleston and offers a more leisurely atmosphere. Like Kiawah, you’ll find exceptional tennis facilities, championship golf, and a variety of family-fun activities. Here are some of the best ways to spend a Charleston staycation on Seabrook!
- Take in the island’s beautiful scenery with horseback riding on the beach!
- Enjoy a round of championship tennis at the Seabrook Island Racquet Club.
- Make a splash at the Seabrook Island Beach Club’s oceanfront pool (open seasonally).
- Relax with one of the most beautiful sunsets in Charleston at Pelican Beach, known by locals as “Sunset Beach!”
- Take a swing at some of the most beautiful golf courses on Charleston’s sea islands, Crooked Oaks and Ocean Winds.
Find more of the island’s best activities in our Seabrook Island Vacation Guide.
More Activities Near Kiawah and Seabrook
Both Kiawah and Seabrook are convenient to other Charleston area attractions, too! Here are more great activities that are about 15 minutes away from the islands.
- Have a day of retail therapy at Freshfields Village.
- Explore The Angel Oak, one of the oldest and most beautiful oak trees in the South Carolina Lowcountry. Admission is always free!
- Enjoy free wine tasting at Forty Eight Wine Bar each Tuesday.
- Shop the farmers market, watch movies under the stars, and enjoy other free events at Freshfields Village every summer.
Find the Perfect Beach Home for Your Charleston Staycation
Now that you’ve chosen your Charleston staycation, it’s time to find the perfect island home! If you need help deciding between Seabrook or Kiawah, contact Pam Harrington Exclusives.